Monday, July 18, 2011

Herb Gardening (shrunken)

One of my dreams since I graduated from school was having my own garden. I remember my childhood summers spent in the garden with my mom and brothers, hoeing the soil, canning vegetables, selling some to neighbors, etcs. So having a garden in the new house was a no-brainer, but because we moved into the house in mid-June, it was a bit too late to set up a full-fledged garden.

I decided a  good option this year was to create a micro-herb garden with three of my favorites: basil, parsley, and green onion (I know, the last isn't technically an herb). Taking a $3 ice bucket from Bed Bath and Beyond, I simply popped some holes underneath to let excess water escape, laid rock along the bottom, and fill it with soil.

A garden in a bucket

I've had the micro-garden for about two weeks now, and the herbs are already starting to sprout.

Basil and green onions are already sprouting

We should have some great, fresh options for pasta sauce ready to go by mid-August, I hope. Moreover, this is the perfect option to curb my desire for a garden this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment